Saturday, March 24, 2012

Reveyron - Fantasie-Choral sur l'hymne de Saint John

It's been a while, but I'm back! I've been working on some fun rep in my absence. This next piece is for pedal solo, titled Fantasie-Choral sur l'hymne de Saint John by Joseph Reveyron (1917-2005). If you're looking for a good piece to help improve your pedal technique I'd recommend this. It's short, only two pages and mostly in double pedal lines.

The piece starts out with a very savage and chromatic introduction that gets references in later interludes. Following this brief introduction the first theme gets introduced in the right foot while the left foot plays a continuous, machine-like, pattern of sixteenth notes. Then the second chant theme takes over in the right foot with the left foot repeating the same pattern. Upon first look at the score it seems very daunting (at least it did for me), but I assure you it's not as bad as it looks. Though it will present a bit of a challenge. Thankfully though, Reveyron included pedaling for almost every note in the piece!



After the chant has been stated, we get a condensed one bar reference of the introduction (I have been unable to track down the origin or text of the chant). The rest of the piece continues this way. Alternating between this very machine-like motive with the chant and the wild and savage references of the introduction. It's like it has multiple personalities and the crazy side keeps rearing its head, only to be quickly silenced. Very Jackal and Hyde.

I also noticed something interesting about one of the main motivic figures. Throughout the piece there is a leap up of a fifth and then a half-step down. (Ex. C-G-F#) This is the same motive that Langlais uses in the Epilogue movement from his Hommage à Frescobaldi, also a pedal solo. This could be coincidence, but interesting anyway.

Another interesting, but more personal fact. The piece is dedicated to a Monsieur John Sanderson. As it turns out, Mr. Sanderson was the husband of my organ teachers accounting teacher when he was in high school! Small world! I just wanted to throw that out there.

Anyway, as far as I know there are no commercial recordings of the piece nor any on YouTube other than my own, so once again I'll post mine below. I had a lot of fun with it and learned it pretty quickly in about a week, so I encourage others to do so as well!


Also, for those of you interested in the score. It is available in a collection of pedal etudes by contemporary composers called Pedals Only; published by Universal Edition. Unfortunately, it's a bit pricy ($37.95) and to be honest many of the pieces are extremely difficult. Definitely nothing in there for a beginner organist, but I still think it's a fascinating book. Below is the link to where you can buy it on SheetMusicPlus. Enjoy!

Pedals Only

Yours in Music,
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment