Sunday, March 25, 2012

Clokey - Ballade in D

So, I'm gonne take a step back a few decades for this next piece: Ballade in D by Joseph W. Clokey.

I get mixed reactions from people on this piece. Some have liked it and thought it very beautiful (like myself) and others found it sort of boring and out-dated. Clokey was a big church composer during the 50s. Everybody was singing his music at the time. However, he quickly went out of style. It's sort of understandable why, too. His music, especially this Ballade, has an older sound to it. Nobody really plays his organ music anymore and probably for that very reason. Very little of his music is still published. I think maybe only a few choral anthems are left. I only came across this piece because my former organ teacher played it and I loved it so he gave me a photocopy of his and that's what I learned it from. I've been able to track down some of his other music through the inter-library loan at my college, but even I don't particularly care for most of it. There is however one book I do own (also out of print) of thirty-five hymn tune arrangements that was written by Clokey that I think is good. There are some nice little gems in there and great for church use. I think there is one used copy left on Amazon. There were two, but I bought the second...

Anyway, the Ballade in D is a very beautiful piece, especially on a nice organ with lush sounds. It begins with a very serene and calming chorale theme that builds up to a dramatic climax in the middle of the piece and then dies back down to a restatement of the chorale. Technically, the piece isn't too demanding, though the middle is a little tricky in places. I really think it's a worthwhile piece to learn and would be a nice addition to a recital program.



Once again, since the piece is out of print I can send a pdf to anyone who is interested in learning it! Also, below I'll put my recording of the piece. I'm curious to hear peoples thoughts on the piece!

Oh and a fun fact about Joseph Clokey. His adopted son, Art Clokey, was the creator of the TV show Gumby! He (Art) was also the voice of Pokey. =)



Yours in Music,
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment