Thursday, September 8, 2011

Nielsen - Kirken den er et gammelt hus

As you can probably already tell, I like a lot of unusual and not often heard music. =) This next piece is another one most people have probably never heard, but I feel it should be known.

Kirken den er et gammelt hus is the third chorale prelude in the second book of chorale preludes by the Danish composer Ludvig Nielsen. It is part of his Op. 5. The melody for Kirken den er et gammelt hus (Built on the Rock the Church Doth Stand) was written by L.M. Lindemann in 1840 and the text for the hymn was written by Nikolai Grundtvig in 1837. The following is the first verse written by Grundtvig:

Kirken den er et gammelt hus,
står, om end tårnene falde,
tårne fuldmange sank i grus,
klokker end kime og kalde,
kalde på gammel og på ung,
mest dog på sjælen træt og tung,
syg for den evige hvile.

Here is the English translation of the same verse:

Built on the Rock the Church doth stand,
even when steeples are falling;
Christ builds his church in every land;
bells still are chiming and calling,
calling the young and old to rest,
calling the souls of those distressed,
longing for life everlasting.

It's really a beautiful text in my opinion.

Anyway the piece itself is very short, only two pages and last about two minutes or so. The theme is immediately introduced by itself in a series of eighth notes with the theme coming in again above this on the third measure, but now in quarter notes. It's really a very well written piece of music. I really don't have too much to say about it other than it is well worth the time it takes to learn it. Most of it is actually fairly sight readable for a decent organist and it's one of those piece I'm going to play for a long long time.



Below I'll post my own recording of the piece on YouTube. Unfortunately, the organ is relatively small and doesn't quite do it justice, but it comes close. I'm also sad to say that this is another piece that seems to be out of print. I've been trying to track it down for quite sometime. I myself learned it off of a photocopy of a photocopy that my teacher had given me. I do have it in PDF form though if anybody is interested. It's only two pages.

Enjoy!




Yours in Music,
Jim

10 comments:

  1. The Kirken one!!

    -Liv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim,

    Would you be willing to send me a .pdf?

    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very interested in getting a PDF of this piece. Your love of it demonstrated in your two YouTube recordings demonstrates really fine taste. I appreciate your advocacy for it!


    I have enjoyed many of your YouTube recordings, and to state the obvious, you play a lot of showier music than this quite well. But sometimes for all of us certain pieces strike quite close to the heart.

    I'm the organist for a small Episcopal church in Arcadia, California (just east of LA) but grew up a Lutheran, knowing the beautiful Grundtvig text to this hymn in English. This text and tune are etched deeply in my mind.

    You might be interested to know that Grundtvig was a giant figure in philosophy, poetry, theology, practical spirituality, educational reform, Danish nationalism, politics, the romantic revival of scholarship on and popular interest in the ancient Norse and Old English sagas, and the intellectual environment that shaped Soren Kierkegaard and Hans Christian Andersen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob, if you give me an email address that I can send a PDF to I'd be more than happy to pass it on!

      Delete
    2. Hi James
      I am a Danish organplayer and very interested in the Ludvig Nielsen piece.
      I Will be glad if you could send the pdf to me.

      B.r.
      Erik

      Delete
  4. Hi Jim
    I would be interested in this PDF if you still have it available.
    Thanks!
    Chad csl4jc at gmail

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would also like a PDF, if you're still sending...belleknight63@yahoo.com. Lovely arrangement, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing, Jim. Please send the pdf file of this piece if still available. Regards, Norman

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice piece, thank you for sharing. I would like a pdf, if you're still sending? Thank you! astridlindvig@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete